Friday, November 20, 2009

Politically Incorrect

God I'm sick of this political correctness bullshit.

It started off as a good idea didn't it? Sort of like when your 10 and you ask your parents why doesn't everyone in the world just share their money and everything, then they'd be no really rich people, and no really poor people. Then she tells you about communism and you think "Hmm, perhaps not then". Or was that just my family???

I mean, the whole thing has just gotten out of control. I'm all for equal rights and not using defamatory words, I hate bigotry, but c'mon!! Now we have "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep"... sorry, I've never seen one of those (well except for the time I ate those mushrooms in that sheep paddock...)

Seems the government and corporate Australia are now so worried about offending any one person, that they'll offend a whole raft of us when they refuse to use the word Christmas and veto a picture of poor old Santa in a public school newsletter wishing the students a "Happy Holiday". Sure, 99.9% of the kids at the school celebrate Christmas, but hey! we don't want to upset a Jehovah's Witness or Buddhist or Jewish child. You know something? I think if the parents were that worried about their kid finding out about this whole Christmas dealy, they may not choose to send them to a public school in a Christian nation. Or to a shopping centre between October and February.

Or when a bank is so scared of being labelled racist, they allow a Muslim woman to enter in full coverings, face and all, but security insist a Caucasian man has to remove his motorbike helmet. This was done for a cable TV show I've forgotten the name of, but remember watching the spokesman for the bank squirm uncomfortably when questioned by the host of the show.

And does it seem to you (as it does to me) that a lot of the people doing the complaining, aren't actually members of the group they are telling us will be offended? And that the group who are involved, actually couldn't give a toss?

Maybe they are as pissed off as I am, sick of pandering "do-gooders" treating them like they are feeble, fragile and unable to justify their own religion and lifestyle.

I also happen to think that our fear of being labelled intolerant, is actually letting real intolerance, religous zealotry and hatred, gain a foothold.

As I'm writing this, I'm wondering if I will offend anyone? I'm also thinking, "Ahh, they can take it, and if they can't, I'm not really interested in them liking me. I'm not a fan of pussies." Well, now I've gone and gotten all the Feline-Australians all catty.. oh, wait...


Signature

8 comments:

  1. ohhhh myyyy. So why don't you tell us how you really feel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Here is another example.. you know how there is BC and AD to measure dates? I went to this museum and in some history books also ...now BCE and CE (Before common era and common era). But the thing is it is based on the same event - birth of Jesus. Silly political correctness

    ReplyDelete
  3. thought provoking. Think I'm with you on that.. I'm going to ponder some more

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I really must learn to form an opinion, mustn't I!? I'm not saying it's it's OK to hurt people's feelings or vilify them, but I think the PC-brigade take things to a ridiculous level, undermining the whole intent it was created for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wholeheartedly agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah! Your Grandpa would be so proud of you......
    Actually I think he would have loved to write a blog (if he had a computer and if he could type).It would have saved him yelling at the telly!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You took the words right out of my mouth, Hke68336!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This drives me bonkers too! There are stereotypes and sayings for a reason - because thats how things are!

    Sheesh, I wish my muslim friends a merry Xmas on Dec 25, and a merry weird xmas on 30 Ramadan.

    When arranging to meet my partner or any number of friends at say, 2pm, I ask "is that skip time, leb time, saffa time or what?"

    I'm probably one of the LEAST politically correct people around, and have an entire UN convention in my christmas card list - and most of them dont celebrate christmas anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment. :)