Saturday, November 14, 2009

My Own Little Age of Aquarius

Once upon a time, I was a bit of a Diva. I liked expensive things, ridiculous shoes, going out, nice restaurants, holidays, blah-de-blah-de-blah-blah.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


I didn’t really think much about the world I lived in. Sure, I recycled, and was a member of WSPA, but to be honest, it wasn’t something I dwelled on. Then of course, I had GG, and I started thinking about the world I was leaving to her. Also, our income dropped dramatically as hubby started his own business at the same time I left work to have GG. I know, I know, our timing is impeccable. Anyhoo, it got me thinking in a much more frugal way. Now when I see a $1,000 handbag, I don’t say “Oh, pretty! Me want!” I now think “Are you kidding!? That’s a month of groceries! How much of that is the poor Taiwanese woman who hand-stitched that in a sweatshop getting?”

Not only did I start thinking about the big picture, I also thought about GG’s immediate environment; the chemicals, the food, heck, even the washing powder! Food became organic, and now I’m even growing our own vegetables. I have worked a lot on eliminating chemicals from our home, and as an added bonus, have found that using chemical-free (or practically so) skincare etc. has made a big difference to my energy levels and therefore, my exercise levels. Slowly but surely, I am losing weight. Even further reducing my load on the planet! (geddit, geddit?)

As part of this new hippy me, I have decided that this Christmas, I am going to forgo the mass-produced stuff and try and support local business. Preferably handmade stuff. So I’m looking forward to lots of markets this month, and having recently discovered Etsy, I’m probably going to be able to do my Christmas shopping in my pyjamas!!

I really must remember to thank GG when she’s older for opening my eyes, raising my consciousness ( I nearly deleted that bit, sounds waaay too tie-dye & incense for me!) and helping me become a better, less superficial, person.

Of course, she’ll probably just roll her eyes and go back to reading Vogue.

Signature

3 comments:

  1. Ohhh speak to my lil beating heart!!! I was a super shopper once myself. Children do have a way of changing your perspective of life!!! Love your blog as always !!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely insightful post. And yes, handmade gifts are lovely, and one can never tell just how much you paid for it, and also they are not likely to already have one just like it! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you - I have totally gone to your way of thinking since Monte was born - prior to that.... bad... having said that have just had blow out at shops, but it was last time

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment. :)