Sunday, February 28, 2010

Well, thanks very much U.N.E.

So if the tension between stay-at-home mums and working Mums wasn't bad enough, that venerable institution, the University of New England has released a study that is sure to fan the flames.

They claim that mothers who work part-time have healthier children. Something about eating less junk food and watching less TV. Now, as a Mum who happens to work part-time, I'd love to accept this as universally true, but what rot! How on earth would these researchers know? Clearly these (no doubt Government funded) intellectual colossuses haven't been spending much time at my house. Since I've started working again, and especially since I've gone up to 3 days per week, GG has eaten a lot more pre-packaged or processed foods, simply because I often don't have time to cook dinner from scratch the days I work. As for TV, if it wasn't for Hi-5 DVDs, I'd never get ready in the morning!!

So now if you work full-time, outside the full time job all Mums have that is, or stay at home, you have fat, lazy kids huh? Gee, I love generalisations. And won't it be lovely to have this splashed about all over the media, we all know how they love responsible reporting, and care deeply about the feelings over Mothers all over the globe.

When are we going to realise that parenting is an individual pursuit, some are great at it, others notsomuch, but it has nothing to do with paid employment, marital status, socio-economic parameters, race, religion, creed or colour of toenail polish! Sheesh!

The sooner women stop focusing on what we are doing differently as parents, and focus on what we share, supporting each other instead of snidely judging the decisions of others to feel better about our own, the sooner we will rule the world. Or at least get paid maternity leave.

Signature

10 comments:

  1. interesting thoughts and blog!

    I don't know that these researchers necessarily have an interest in criticizing the choices of parents about work. It's not really part of the scientific method to do so.

    In saying that, I don't think the Australian government/industry provides enough flexibility for mothers to choose the working situation that works best for their family and maybe studies like this, as much as it seems like they are proposing that there is a "best" way may actually provide support for more flexible working hours for those mothers who choose to/or need to work. It could be worse - we could live in the US where there is zero support.

    Have a great day!

    --Visiting from SITS --

    ReplyDelete
  2. The generic "results of research" loose touch with reality. One size does not fit all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I've done it all different ways...SAHM, part-time job, full-time job, worked at home. I say it's the parents, not the polls or politicians, who determine how our kiddos turn out. SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did! You may be interested in the party I'm throwing today...

    Yeah! It's a Party in the USA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, Sister!! Well said! I'm not even a parent and that report makes my blood boil!! Why can't these people learn that each woman must do what work for HER, under HER OWN set of circumstances? Geez, give us a break!

    You know, those idiots could learn a LOT from the blogging world, I think. You won't find a nicer, more supportive community, in my opinion!! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Methinks that's a bunch of crap. I'm so tired of this "mommy war" thing. It's pretty ridiculous for the government to get involved. I'm pretty confident in a mother's knowledge of what's best for her family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, time to spend those research dollars on something way more important, like a cure for cancer, SIDS, premature birth, postnatal depression etc etc. FGS, mums don't need more reasons to feel guilty, SAHM, working part time or otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it all ridiculous? I'm getting pretty irritated with a these so called 'experts' spouting their theories. parenting is hard enough, without comparing yourself to other people and their standards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanna know who studies this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the research really highlights that there are different types of parents out there. My daughter watches tv (so I too can have a shower) but we also have a big list on the fridge of different activities and once mummy is ready for the day (after miss 2 has had breakfast and juice and cereal and cuddles and books and is also clean and dressed) we chose an activity and get to it. And then another and another and the list is endless. Now this list also includes chores, like watering the plants, checking the mail, folding the clothes etc... so I can feel successful in keeping the house running. Oh and I work part time. I know some SAHM's that just let their kids run wild and others that run their home similar to us. I think it comes down to the choices the parents make, not whether they work or not. Oh and I found the article on the research to be a tad one sided... what about the dads? don't they have an impact on the child as well, I know ours does!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment. :)